Big Brother is really progressing him his reading skills, both in decoding language in written form and in comprehending what he is reading. I feel really good about where he is at the mid-point of his first grade year.
He has completed Exploring The Code Books 1, 1 ½ and 2. We are currently working on 2 ½. I had not planned to use this one, even other we had it, since the ½ books are opportunities to practice or remaster the skills introduced in the full number books and I felt he was ready to move on to book 3. However, when I ordered book 3 I sent it my folks address, so since we had 2 ½ on hand, we are working on it till Book 3 arrives.
In the past week Big Brother has read sentences like:
- Len sped past the big bus
- Dad spills a glass of pop on Ship
- Nell stuffs the doll in the bag
- Bev puts on a skit in class
- The kid flags the van to stop
- The stag is a still as can be
- Will you step on the flag
- Can you stuff your clogs in a bag
- Is the stem of a bud stiff
- Mim slips the plug in the slot
- Glen slams the lid on the box
- Can you smell the hot dog and bun
And read words like:
As well as many other. I am feeling good about where he is, he really is not branching out in to books, no matter how easy, yet, but I feel that is more his choice and maybe his uncertainty and not skill related.