I can’t tell you anything about how my new system is working for our family; sadly because I can’t get the system to work. The system itself, the physical mechanism. The boys seemed to like the modified work box system I created the one day we “ran it”. However, practically speaking it fell apart and I have already seen things I’d like to do differently. I have been trying different approaches to make it work (they physical stuff, not the ‘system’): so this has remained a work in progress and is still not up and running.
- The glue did not sick well; the lamented labels came off the magnets the first time Big tried to “choose” something off of the TO DO side.
- The lack of reading made the choices not really independent (he could not choose one and go to it alone).
- I quickly had a 4th ‘subject’ I’d like to be able to rotate into the boxes
- First I took clothespins and glued magnets to them, hoping that they will hold up to being used. The labels can be clipped in to them. I like this in theory – but the magnets (craft ones) I had did not glue well and even when I got them glued, they didn’t really hold the clothes pins to the gun safe – the cards made them too heavy and if you brushes them no matter how accidently they fell. They all feel off the safe each time Daddy opened it.
- I remade the labels and I added clip art that the boys can use as a guide. The choices that correspond to a box (Math, Phonics, Fine Motor, Handwriting) I made 2 of the label so I can clip on to the TO DO board and the other to the box.
- I glued clothespins to the boxes to that the label can be changes based on what I want to make an option that day. However, again, the glue did not hold the clothes pin and any time there were touched they fell off.
A 2nd try at fixing things:
- I realized we have a magnet from the Zoo in Jacksonville that is nothing more than a big clothes pin (have 2 actually). Magnetic clips like to hold notes on a fridge would be perfect. I searched amazon.com for magnetic clips – and YES found just what I need.
- The laminated TO DO and DONE signs would not glue to the magnets, so I think, for a time anyway, I’ll just put up with magnetic clips also.
Challenges I am still working on:
- The labels for the boxes. I have not found glue that will hold clothing pins (wood or plastic) to the front of the drawers. I would just use clear packing tape and put the labels on, but I have 3 drawers and 4 subjects I want to be able to rotate though; and I am sure I can think of more too, so I did not want to be limited in what the drawers could hold.