A dear sweet buddy, this morning, e-mailed me a new project idea. I wanted to do art today but was not up to getting out the paint so we jumped right in. I am really kinda proud of myself for how often i get the boys a project. I need to REALLY improve in letting them do it, no matter what it looks like, rather than pushing it towards one end outcome. I also need to give them more time for the process. However I am improving.
What we did:
We started with different colors of paper, sandwich bags and pipe cleaners.
Little Brother didn’t try to tear the paper, but he DID really want to climb on the table and get my computer where I had the example photo up for Big Brother to see.
We tore the paper into little pieces (Good for Big Brother’s fine motor control). I should have given him a lot more time for this.
we made piles of the different colors.
then we stuffed the sandwich bags.
Then used the pipe cleaners to separate the wings and make the antenna. (Big Brother called them “ears”)
and — there you have it butterflies:
Then we hung them from the ceiling.
What we learned / ideas for next time:
1. I want to do it again with tissue paper that has been crunched up. that would let the light glow through the butterflies, and also would give them “fatness” and “puffy softness”.
2 I want to go this with bigger bag (and something puffy) to make one or two BIG butterflies.