I saw this blog post http://jessekatedesigns.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-patricks-day-fun-day-2-puffy.html and had to try it with my boys. It turned out to be a great sensory activity. The orginal idea uses glitter, well we don’t do glitter. Glitter is not allowed in this house. So we ad-libed it a bit.
I see this art project showing up at a playdate or two. Already have a plan for this summer …
What we did:
I cut egg shapes out of paper before we started and covered the table with paper. In retrospect I did not need to cover the table, this art cleaned up easier than a lot of others we have done. (shaveing cream is great for cleaning plastic top tables as it is — like in a school or daycare or church fellowship hall — that kind of table…it will wash off maker and everthing adn is fun — tile floor required)
We used plastic spoons, I was sad to see I did not have any plast bowls left from my birthday party so I used “sandwich” sized tupperware that I am not attached to, if they wash up great, if not, no loss.
We mixed white school glue and plain shaving foam. You are supposed to use the same amount of each, I am here to tell you it is tough to tell if you are or not. So we will see how the end eggs turn out.
I added a dab of finger paint for color (that is not in the original blog idea I was working from, as they put glitter on theirs and we do NOT do glitter).
—note: later as i edit this, i can tell you that they dry darker than they are wet —-
The just stir and apply!!
We started out with the boys using the spoons to apply the foam to the paper. but we progressed to momma putting big daloup of the foam in the egg for them and they used their hands to “spread out the foam”.
For a while Momma put the form out for them then they used the spoon to spread it — and actually Little Brother did better with this than Big Brother. Finally we got to Momma putting out foam and the boys useing their hands to paint with it. We had to work though Big Brother wanting to spread it out totally and not leave any puff.
It was good for them, they enjoyed it and it was a cool finger painting project for them. Big Brother needed the “path” from spoon to hands before he’d dive in with his hands. Little brother never did go all out with his hands like Big Brother did.
So now the eggs are drying. We took a tubbie. Big Brother reports we should do it again and he likes to mix the colors.
We have a bit of a swirl effect on some of the eggs (there are more than I show here) and I hope that the swirl is still visiable when they dry. I want to try this again and try for more color change effect .. i will mix the glue and foam first them add in the color for more sqirl — i hope — this time i added all three to the bowl at the time so i had to mix the color in fairly “even” to get the glue and foam mixed.
Things I learned / Ideas for improvement
1. use poster board or something more study than paper. it got really flimsy with the foam on it
2. I need to get better at taking photos to show our process. 🙂
3. next time i will mix the glue and foam base then add the color so i do not have to stir the color all the way in if i do not want.